It has been proven through research and direct feedback that the effects of Yoga are both powerful and profound in helping children and adults on the spectrum. The special adapted Yoga approach can benefit individuals with Sensory Integration Disorder, Asperger’s Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, High Functioning Autism and Classic Autism as well as other special needs. Just a few of the benefits are listed below:
- Improved hand-eye co-ordination and muscle tone
- Improved motor skills, balance and spacial awareness
- Improved attention, focus, confidence and self-esteem
- Improved sense of self
- Increased connection to the body, brain and emotional expression
- More control in regulating anxiety and emotions
- Improves both quality and quantity of sleep
- Reduction in aggression and self-harming
- Reduction of obsessive and self-stimulatory behaviours
- Reduction in sensory overload, including pain
- Reduction of fight, flight, fight, freeze reaction
- The joy of sharing classes with others, making new friends
- Improving social interactions and reducing social anxiety
Yoga introduces a deep sense of body awareness, mindfulness, motor-neurone organisation and can gently reset the nervous system to create a shift from ‘survival’ mode to a feeling of internal safety and coping. The sensory system is given space to process, the muscles slowly come out of a contracted state, and attention is brought more to the quiet self.
The therapeutic tools of Yoga can facilitate the shift from “survive” to “thrive” Yoga is an ancient healing tool and method of scholars that was based on a series of 8 limbs, only one of which is physical exercises or postures. For therapeutic adapted Yoga, we concentrate on 5 limbs:
- Breathing (pranayama)
- Postures (asanas)
- Relaxation (savasana)
Yotism Yoga takes these 5 traditional limbs of Yoga and brings them to the child or adult in a way that is modified into a therapeutic body-brain integration, a neuro-sensory sequence that meets the child’s or adult’s needs on the ASD spectrum, improving their abilities and attention levels.
Our workshop program is developing and expanding all the time.
Some of the workshops currently on offer are:
- Parents 1 day introduction to Yoga with your child
- Parent and child yoga (half day)
- 1 day workshop for professionals
- Yoga – Move to Learn technique
- All about Autism
- Yo’Girls project
We provide training and designed Move to Learn techniques at Inset training days for teachers, learning support staff and educators.
We have also become quite specialist at designing individual short training courses tailored to meet the exact needs or requirements of your school, organisation, charity or support group.
So for workshops and further training please do not hesitate to get in contact with us to find out more and personally discuss your needs. Please contact email@example.com